Dec 21, 2011

AMISH HUNTERS

THE AMISH AND HUNTING

A few weeks ago on a late afternoon I am driving west on
Jennings Creek Road toward Route 221 in the Town of Lapeer.

The sun is low above the horizon and
I am slowing down because it blinds me.

As I approach the Amish Schools I discern the silhouettes of two
Amish men on an open buggy driving toward me.
I slow down some more.

The men are wearing bright orange striped hunting vests
and orange Amish hats.
They wave and I lift my hand off the steering wheel.

In the rearview mirror I see the licenses pinned to their vests.

The Amish don’t want their pictures taken but if there ever was an
opportunity for a good photo this was one.

Off the highway on Hunts Corners Road I notice an
Amish man operating a sawmill.

Having been born with a tendency to ask questions
I swing into his driveway.

“Hi, my name is George Vanderwoude and
I am wondering if I could ask you a question?”

“Sure, go ahead”.

“I just saw the most startling thing I have seen recently,
two Amish men with bright orange hats and hunting vests”.

Jason (not his real his name) smiles.

“Do the Amish people hunt?”

“Oh yes we love hunting”.

This begs for more questions.

His brother and many others own gun collections.
Shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders and air guns for the kids.
Many of them are no stranger to archery.

Since then I have become acquainted with Jason’s brother in law
who cuts deer and processes meat into a bologna
that makes me sneak to the fridge in the middle of the night.
The seasoning is unequalled.

The deer processing sign at Hunts Corners (four corners)
has been replaced with a sign
for blacksmith/horse-shoeing services.

I am thinking of slaughtering a cow.
A steady supply of Amish Bologna makes my mouth water.

George Vanderwoude

For more information about Amish hunting
click on