Nov 10, 2011

Went For a Motorcycle Ride Yesterday Afternoon

The afternoon temperatures were balmy.
Around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
So my trusty steed beckoned
and begged me to take it for a ride.

It had been several weeks that I had an opportunity/time for a ride.
If I don't want to go too far afield my area of choice for leisurely riding
is North East of Marathon toward Freetown and Cincinnatus.

Some hard surfaced and some dirt roads.
The Suzuki DR650 is up to taking on rough surfaces
as it is shod with knobby tires.

In the beginning of June of this year I rode down in one day to Marlinton, WV
to attend a motorcycle rally.
Down I-81 to Lexington, Virginia.
West on I-64 and off at the first exit and back roads to the rally.
511 miles.
Prior to going down I had done some research and created a Google Map

In addition I created a web site featuring Rides and Sights
Click on blue links

In my opinion West Virginia is without equal when it comes to scenery.
I have visited many of the sites but definitely not all.
If one has never been to West Virginia
the Greenbanks Observatory is a "Must See".

If you arrive and the bus is idling at curb do not board.
Go view the presentation in the auditorium first.
The rally was held at the Marlinton Motor Inn a few miles North of Marlinton.

The routes featured in my
Rides and Sights
web site are based on this location.

George